Chuck hit on a point that bit us a while back...Indexes.

We are at 7.1 TR6. When we loaded our latest cume, the SQE started acting a bit peculiarly.

We had a RRN() derived field on a table and when the cume was loaded, the indexes that had been temporarily created by DB2 disappeared.

The table, now having no indexes at all, routed through the SQE via a less performance enhanced path. This is from IBM. Apparently, the mere existence of an index, even if it didn't meet the needs of the current SQL request, caused the SQE to progress down a more performance enhanced path.

So we created an index on the table (over the derived column since we needed it anyway) and performance improved by > 30% for this SQL's execution.

Indexes, while not a cure-all, are certainly important to the choices made by SQE.

Mike Cain and Kent Milligan of IBM's DB2 for i Center of Excellence co-wrote this article about indexing strategies that I found very helpful:

http://www-304.ibm.com/partnerworld/wps/servlet/ContentHandler/stg_ast_sys_wp_db2_i_indexing_methods_strategies

Concerning your indication that no index advice is given, if the SQL contains any derived columns, the index advise is not generated.

For example; if you've got a WHERE clause comparing UPPER(LastName) = UPPER(:Parm_LastName), then you will not get any advice.

Select LastName, FirstName
From Employee
Where Upper(LastName) = Upper(:Parm_LastName)

And it will perform poorly (probably a table scan) because your index actually needs to be on UPPER(LastName) not LastName.

Steve Needles