On 12-Mar-2014 05:28 -0700, Alan Shore wrote:
<<SNIP>>
Scott Klement provided examples of which I used

And presumably, the link to the 20 Apr 2009 08:57 AM post by Scott Klement is the origin:
<http://forums.iprodeveloper.com/forums/aft/55771>

Here is what I have ended up with

PGM
/* To compile: */
/*> CRTPF QTEMP/LSOUTPUT RCDLEN(1000)<*/

<<SNIP some CLP source declarative>>
DCLF FILE(LSOUTPUT)

<<SNIP some CLP source>>

ADDENVVAR ENVVAR(QIBM_QSH_CMD_OUTPUT) +
VALUE('FILEAPPEND=/tmp/sftplog.txt') +
REPLACE(*YES)
ADDENVVAR ENVVAR(QIBM_QSH_CMD_ESCAPE_MSG) VALUE(Y) +
REPLACE(*YES)

DLTF FILE(QTEMP/LSOUTPUT)
MONMSG MSGID(CPF2105)

CRTPF FILE(QTEMP/LSOUTPUT) RCDLEN(1000)

<<SNIP more source>>

OVRDBF FILE(STDOUT) TOFILE(QTEMP/LSOUTPUT)
/* CHGVAR VAR(&CMD) VALUE(&CMD *TCAT '> +
/qtcptmm/SFTPlogoutput.txt 2>&1') */
CHGVAR VAR(&CMD) VALUE(&CMD *TCAT &NULL)
CALL PGM(QP2SHELL) PARM('/QOpenSys/usr/bin/sh' +
'-c' &CMD)
DLTOVR FILE(STDOUT)
OVRDBF FILE(LSOUTPUT) TOFILE(QTEMP/LSOUTPUT)

DOUNTIL COND(&EOF *EQ '1')
RCVF
<<SNIP more source>>
ENDDO

DLTOVR FILE(LSOUTPUT)

ENDPGM

I have compiled this and run it, but the file QTEMP/LSOUTPUT is
empty

How the program source was "compiled" is possibly quite pertinent.

I have also run sftp interactively using the following commands
CALL PGM(QP2TERM)
<<SNIP>>

Having "run it <ed: the CLP>" interactively versus by submit job (SBMJOB) could explain a difference.

The questions are
what is wrong with my CLP program and

My immediate thought for any similar scenario being described is always the /override scope/, as being a possible origin for the issue. However if the request is being performed interactively, I would expect the output from the ls request to have appeared at the workstation display. And if batch, then expected instead, to have produced a spool file QPRINT showing the output from the ls request; i.e. assuming a printer file QPRINT is in the *LIBL of the batch job, else the job might effectively /lose/ the output, but an indication as to why the output was lost would be apparent by review of the joblog.

how can I log what happens within sftp

Instead of piping the results of the request directly to grep, log the output from the request to a file, and then grep the file that holds that output. The output file can be reviewed after the request completes.

As always - any and all responses gratefully accepted

With regard to override scoping, the OVRSCOPE() should be explicitly specified on the OVRDBF to be functional for any /called/ function; i.e. the function for which the override must be in effect. While the override for the RCVF need not explicitly have a chosen scope, per being functional as an inline command\statement request no matter the chosen or defaulted scope, the invocation [e.g. by CALL] of another program [e.g. the QP2SHELL] is not implicitly covered by whatever is the defaulted scope. The safest choice is to explicitly code the OVRSCOPE(*CALLLVL) because the effect should be the same irrespective of the compiler and\or binding; e.g. CRTCLPGM vs CRTBNDCL. The following is also a message from Scott, alluding that using QP2SHELL2 instead of QP2SHELL could also resolve the issue, per the former using ACTGRP(*CALLER) instead of ACTGRP(*NEW) of the latter:
<http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l/200712/msg00288.html>