James,

As Buck said, this is called an SQL injection attack, and you should be writing your code in a way that prevents it. Users should only be able to provide variable values, not _part_of_ your SQL statement!

Instead of JDBC_ExecQry, you should be using JDBC_PrepStmt like this:

myStmt = JDBC_PrepStmt( conn: 'select x,y,z from mytable +
where somefield=?');

The ? is called a "parameter marker" and takes the place of a variable value. The user can then supply the value that goes there, but they cannot do things like add an additional clause on to your SQL statement, they can only provide a variable that's used by the WHERE.

JDBC_setString( myStmt: 1: TheUserData );

The above sets the value for the first (reading from left to right) parameter marker in the statement. If there's more than one ? in the statement to set, you can change the 1 to a 2, 3, or 4, etc, to match the parameter marker that you are setting.

Then you do:

rs1 = JDBC_ExecPrepQry( conn: myStmt );

to run it. It can be run (potentially) multiple times before you're done with it, each time with different parameter values. When you're done, do JDBC_FreeStmt(myStmt) to free up the statement handle that you originally created.

This will prevent SQL injection attacks, which are a huge security problem. You should only use JDBC_ExecQry() when the statement is entirely generated from data in your program, so there's no danger of the user interjecting something that should not be there.

-SK