I'm glad you brought this up. I was under the impression when ordering SF99711 that it would automatically include the latest group PTFs. I did notice the Last Updated date and figured the document was not updated. If SF99711 only periodically gets updated to include the latest group PTFs then I don't understand the point of ordering SF99711. I have started ordering CUMEs and GROUPS on DVD again because of too many issues downloading even using Download Director. I used to be a fan, but figured the data was getting too large.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Kirk Goins
Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2013 2:44 PM
To: Midrange-L
Subject: PTF SF99711

May be this has been hashed out here before and I missed it but here are a couple of items I have run across.

First of all for my sites that have good bandwidth I like to use SNDPTFORD to an Image Catalog. It is pretty much enter the cmd and forget. I come back the next day and I have my image(s) and away I go. I will typically order the CUME and then order the groups I want for that machine.

I have tried recently ( a couple of times ) to use SF99711 to pickup all the groups I needed without having to specify each one.. I have had a couple of issues.
#1 After the CUME and Groups have been applied and the system has completed ALL the required IPLs most of not al the groups show Not Installed in WRKPTFGRP. If I simply do a SNDPTFORD SF99711 and let it download to *SERVICE it says No PTFs Ordered ( or whatever ) but WRKPTFGRP not shows the groups Installed.

A second issues I ran into today. I had used SF99711 within the last couple of weeks, but while trying to use the HTTP Admin server to install WAS855 I was having problems. Looking at the group levels my HTTP server was at level 19. It should have been at 23 or even 24 if SF99711 had done what it advertises.

In discussing this with IBM it turns out SF99711 doesn't automagically get the LATEST Group PTFs. It has to be updated by the PTF Gods at IBM to Include whatever groups and whatever levels they want included iin the group PTF..

*Per the current Cover Letter*
SF99711: 710 All PTF Groups except Cumulative PTF Package PTF Group Level: 2 Last Updated: 8/9/13

So based on IBM Tech Support Comments and the date above. I would not expect to see any PTFs added to groups since 8/9/13.

*Dear IBM.*
My hope when ordering SF99711 via SNDPTFORD or vis FixCentral and accessing my system is that A. It would check my WRKPTFGRP makers and order any that needed updating.
B. Decide if I had installed a new product and if there was a group PTF for that product ( say WAS8.5 ) include that in my order.

Another side comment from support. They do not recommend using SNDPTFORD for large PTF orders like CUMEs and GROUPs. They say they have more lssues with missing PTFs etc than by using Fix Central and then FTPing or using Download Director.

Any Order with care.

--
Kirk