Also read these V7R1 SMTP changes from V7R1 memo to users

SMTP support for RFC 821 and RFC 822 removed
Starting in i 7.1, Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) only supports RFC 2821 and 2822. RFC 2821/2822
deprecate many parts of the 821/822 e-mail standard. Behavior for smtp routes, smtp alias shadowing,
and processing mail through Mail Service Framework (msf) are not compatible with the RFC 2821 and
RFC 2822 standards, and should be used on an as is basis. The first part of a source route will still be
honored from RFC 821, other parts of the source route will not be contacted. The absolute address is the
recommended way to send e-mail. Read the RFC standards for more details.

SMTP changes for IPv6 support
IPv6 support was added in i 7.1. At this time, there is no IPv6 standard for real time black holes lists
(RBL). The RBL only works for IPv4 addresses. SMTP uses the API getaddrinfo() to look up e-mail DNS
records which does not guarantee the address will be looked up first as IPv6 then IPv4 which is different
from what Request for Comments (RFC) 3974 recommends. Parts of the DNS resolver were fixed in i 7.1
to be more correct. Some changed behavior might be noticed as a result.

MAILROUTER feature changes
This feature can be used either by using the Change SMTP attributes (CHGSMTPA) command parameter
MAILROUTER or through the IBM i Navigator SMTP server properties general tab under Mail router.
The MAILROUTER feature before i 7.1 would in some instances, forward all mail to the mail router even
if the e-mail address could be resolved. In i 7.1, MAILROUTER correctly forwards to the mail router only
when the e-mail address does not resolve.

The FWDMAILHUB feature was added in i 6.1 that allowed the forwarding of e-mail to a single address.
This feature can be used either by using the CHGSMTPA parameter FWDMAILHUB or through the IBM i
Navigator SMTP server properties general tab under Forwarding mailhub domain. FWDMAILHUB
always forwards the e-mail and does not attempt a resolve. MAILROUTER only supports A and AAAA
records, while FWDMAILHUB supports MX, CNAME, AAAA, and A.

For those customers that expect all e-mail to be forwarded to their mail router then copy the value of
MAILROUTER to FWDMAILHUB, and set MAILROUTER to *NONE as this is a mail hub. For those that
expect only e-mail that cannot be resolved to be forwarded to their mail router leave the configuration
as-is. Customers that want the SMTP server to resolve an address before forwarding to the mail hub,
must use MAILROUTER, as FWDMAILHUB does not resolve the address. Changing these values may
require a SMTP server restart.
The resolve path is now:
Chapter 4. Licensed programs 43

Forwarding Mail hub(if defined)->
Absolute Address/First part of source route->
mailrouter(if same domain)->
mailrouter(different domain) if FIREWALL(*YES).