I take it this was one of those, "let's take a system at 6.1, restore it
to a new system at 7.1" type of upgrades versus "upgrade the old system to
7.1 and then restore it to a new system"?

Well, the basic troubleshooting is always a good start.
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/topic/rzair/rzairfixemail.htm

Just a shoot from the hip, but did you run
CHGATR OBJ('/tmp') ATR(*RSTDRNMUNL) VALUE(*NO)
Very common problem the last several releases. One special IBM system
user id is used to create the email and a stub goes into /tmp and is
handed off to another process. Then another special IBM system user id is
used to process that handoff. Bam!