From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of CRPence
Sent: 11 December 2013 10:01
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: AnyNet over a Broadband Connection

On 09-Dec-2013 09:04 -0800, Jeff Bull wrote:
<<SNIP>> I can use Telnet and FTP between them, but I would dearly
love to be able to use Object-Connect command and DDMF's.

For DDM anyhow, there is directly TCP/IP support; i.e. no need for AnyNet
support. Per reference in a followup reply, to "one legacy
AS/400 running v5r1 in an 'old' office, due to be shut down in 6 to 7
months. I only need the Anynet connection until then, connecting it to the
iSeries in the 'new' office.":

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/v5r1/ic2924/info/cl/crtddmf.htm
_CRTDDMF (Create Distributed Data Management File) Command Description_

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/v5r1/ic2924/info/cl/crtddmfsyn.htm
_CRTDDMF (Create Distributed Data Management File) syntax diagram_

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/v5r1/ic2924/info/ddm/rbae5mst105.htm
_Distributed Data Management_
_Using DDM Over TCP/IP: Setting Up DDM Files_

I have configured AnyNet and it works in the isolation of each network
but does not seem to want to connect over the broadband.
I'm guessing that the bb-router/firewall may be one issue.
<<SNIP>>

<http://compgroups.net/comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc/anynet-and-firewall/1342135>

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg245291.pdf
Redbooks document SG24-5291
_SNA and TCP/IP Integration_
"... On the TCP/IP side of the process, you have to designate a special port
(TCP and UDP) for use by AnyNet SNA over IP. This enables the TCP/IP stack
to route SNA over IP packets to AnyNet while native IP packets are sent to
their proper destination. The port number normally used is 397, the
well-known port for SNA over IP. Both TCP and UDP are required because
AnyNet uses UDP datagrams for expedited SNA data even if the normal data is
flowing on a TCP connection. ..."

--
Regards, Chuck