Here is the difference between VIOS Support and IBM i support of V7000 and V3700.

VIOS 8G speed
NPIV
Fiber switch between SAN and Power System.
Multiple partitions on one path with virtualization
Excellent for multiple partitions.
Required for mobility, hibernate, etc.

IBM i 4G speed (8G adapters not allowed)
No NPIV
Direct attach, no switch
One partition on the path
Possibly acceptable to have 1 or 2 small guest partitions (e.g. Development) but not production guest partitions. All disk is intended for just one partition.
No support for advanced virtualization such as mobility etc.

In either case IBM I is doing the 512 to 520 byte sector magic as the SAN is 512 bytes.

DrFranken

Sent from my iPad