As usual, read the MTU (Memo To Users) first.
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/topic/rzahg/rzahgmtu.htm
Use the latest online version. IBM keeps updating it. As more gotchas
are discovered or new features are brought into the OS via TR's and
whatnot.

Honestly though, there's a problem with waiting TOO long to upgrade to the
current version of the OS. It's been YEARS since most of us have upgraded
to 7.1 and we've forgotten many of the gotcha's.

I don't remember if IBM came out with their version of RUNSQL in 6.1, but
once you get to a certain level of TR's in 7.1 it's there. It's bitten a
few people. IBM's parameter names will not match the ones from the RUNSQL
which first appeared in a magazine article years ago. The magazine
version supported a simple SELECT to view on a screen. IBM's does not.
There's a couple of cures.
- Rename your existing RUNSQL to something else and change all your
imbedded code to use IBM's if possible but your's for those simple SELECTs
and other unsupported items. Lots of work but the best long term
solution. No concern about the next OS upgrade, etc.
- Use a command exit point program to analyze RUNSQL. If the parameter
names favor your custom version then redirect it to your renamed version.
- Rename IBM's RUNSQL. Like RUNSQLIBM or some such thing. Simple and
cost effective but has two drawbacks. One, you'll have to remember to
handle this every OS upgrade and if IBM ever PTF's the actual command.
Two, if you get vendor code which starts using IBM's version imbedded into
their code.
I just checked and the MTU has been updated to cover the new RUNSQL. IOW,
never use the printed MTU, it's out of date before the ink dries.