Chuck may be on to something but just in case it's less drastic let's
start out with some simple stuff.

DSPSYSVAL QCTLSBSD
record the value returned.

WRKSBS
F11=Display system data
Is your controlling subsystem ACTIVE or END?

If it is in END state your system is in some sort of jerked over
'restricted' state. To exit 'restricted' state you have two choices:
1 - STRSBS (whatever the value of QCTLSBSD is)
2 - Ipl via PWRDWNSYS OPTION(*CNTRLD) DELAY(120) RESTART(*YES)

If it is disk then you may want to look at WRKPRB and/or
STRSST
1. Start a service tool
7. Hardware service manager
6. Work with service action log
Change the years of 'From' to about 10 years ago. If you're running an
AS/400 it's that old or more and you could have had the problem for
awhile.
See also
STRSST
3. Work with disk units
1. Display disk configuration
1. Display disk configuration status

If you see some nasty stuff in here you need to call in reinforcements.

If you're going to IPL, and you have the time, you may want to try this
first:
ENDTCP
ENDSBS *ALL *CNTRLD DELAY(120)
That will try to bring some stuff down controlled (at least that which
coded for a controlled shutdown). After the two minutes it will
automatically execute ENDSBS *ALL *IMMED.
Wait until DSPMSG QSYSOPR says System ended to restricted state. This
should take but a few minutes (not seconds). If it takes longer than 12
minutes you may have a job that you need to run ENDJOBABN on. I've had
one just this week. yes, it's a PMR situation.
RCLSTG. This will take a long time. A long time. I've seen it range
from one hour to 12 hours or more. Size of box doesn't really seem to
make the difference.
After the RCLSTG is done then try the PWRDWNSYS.