On 12-Nov-2013 17:24 -0800, Peter Dow wrote:
<<SNIP>>
Re your earlier email, I had the same initial reaction (that "the
SQL Graphical Debugger is only for debug of routines written with
the LANGUAGE SQL"), but when I got further down in that PDF by Kent
Milligan, it stated

"The graphical system debugger, which is part of the IBM Toolbox for
Java, lets you debug programs that run on the IBM i operating
system. This state-of-the-art debugger includes an integrated call
stack window, breakpoint groups, variable monitors and a
local-variables display. In addition to the new capabilities, you can
use the graphical debugger, without any training, to debug
practically any scenario that you can debug using the green-screen
interface (STRDBG). The graphical debugger supports the following IBM
Integrated Language Environment® (ILE) languages:

ILE C and C++
ILE RPG
ILE COBOL
ILE CL
Java"

Well I suppose I could have read the document at the given link, but I always dread dealing with a link to a PDF. Conspicuously missing from that particular _list of supported languages_ is the SQL. And is Java an ILE language? Whenever I heard\read of a reference being made to a "SQL Graphical Debugger", I understood that as a reference to something different than the "graphical system debugger".

So... I downloaded the PDF, and with a cursory glance, I saw right away what seems to confirm my impression; i.e. "These *two tools* are: the IBM i graphical debugger (part of the IBM Toolbox for Java) and the IBM Data Studio (formerly known as IBM DB2 Developers Workbench and IBM DB2 Development Center)." So while the former can _enable_ debug using the SQL *SOURCE debug view, it is not *the* SQL graphical debugger I hear being mentioned... and that I have never used. I conclude that because a separate section of the document suggests that there is also\separately the capability to "debug SQL and Java procedures by using the IBM Data Studio tool. Debugging of SQL and Java procedures requires Data Studio V3.1.1 or later." And "[a]t the time of publishing this paper, the Data Studio debugger does not yet support the debug of DB2 for i SQL user-defined functions."

While the latter part of the above quote may no longer be accurate, e.g. the debugger was since enhanced, it implies that the original reply offering that link still was less obviously helpful... having suggested that the tooling would not even assist, even *if* the function had been (SQL Table) vs (External Table); i.e. a UDTF is a UDF.