On 05-Nov 12:17 -0800, Jeff Crosby wrote:
I've only ever done SAVE 21 from the console. I always ass-u-med
the console was required.

But if you take the SAVE 21 option from a display not in the
controlling subsystem, it only says you must first transfer the job
into the controlling subsystem, then take the SAVE 21 option again.
It does _not_ say you need to be at the console.

I infer from that, that it does _not_ need to be run from the
console. Am I right?

Correct, the request does not need to be made from the console. I had only ever done so from a locally attached [twinax] workstation... and only when I was having console troubles.

There is a restriction on End System (ENDSYS), such that "command can be entered only in an interactive job in the controlling subsystem. To use this command, the user must have job control (*JOBCTL) authority. This command is not allowed in a pass-through job or in a workstation function job." I think omission of "TELNET job" here is accidental.? Similar requirements for the End Subsystem (ENDSBS) are documented for use of SBS(*ALL) specification; visible differences are effectively that "ENDSBS SBS(*ALL) is not allowed in a TELNET job, pass-through job, or in a workstation function job" and that additional capability exists for "a batch job running in the controlling subsystem, initiated from a job queue, with the BCHTIMLMT parameter and SBS(*ALL) specified." In either case, the system will not reach "restricted state" until all jobs other than the job from which the request to end the system was initiated, given the workstation allocation is defined with a workstation entry having AT(*SIGNON) [for the transferred (TFRJOB) or the already allocated job] and all secondary\group jobs at that device session, have ended.

For sure that is an option for a *LWS Local WorkStation connection, but anything else that could, must remain unaffected for its communications by the loss of all non-system jobs; i.e. when the system finally achieves restricted-state. For example, a standard TCP/IP connection established by an emulator is likely to fail when the TCP/IP is ended... except those specifically designed to operate on the minimal stack which would be /console-capable/ device emulation.

IBM i 7.1 Information Center -> Systems management -> Work management -> Managing work -> Managing subsystems
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/topic/rzaks/rzaksmakerestrictedstate.htm
_i Placing the system in restricted state i_
"If all of the subsystems, including the controlling subsystem are ended, the system goes into a restricted condition. You can place the system in a restricted condition by using one of two commands from an interactive workstation.

Command: End Subsystem with the *ALL parameter (ENDSBS SBS(*ALL))

Command: End System (ENDSYS)

Important: The ENDSBS or ENDSYS command should be issued from an interactive job in the controlling subsystem, and only from a workstation whose entry in the controlling subsystem description specifies AT(*SIGNON). The interactive job from which the command was issued remains active when the controlling subsystem goes into a restricted condition. If the job issuing the command is one of two jobs that are active at the workstation (using the System Request key or the TFRSECJOB command), neither of the jobs is forced to end. However, the controlling subsystem does not end for the restricted condition until you end one of the jobs. Suspending group jobs also prevents the controlling subsystem from ending (until the group jobs are ended).

When the system is in the restricted condition, most of the activity on the system has ended, and only one workstation is active. The system must be in this condition for commands such as Save System (SAVSYS) or Reclaim Storage (RCLSTG) to run.
..."