From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Gqcy
Sent: Monday, November 04, 2013 10:49 AM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: IBM i Access for Web vs IBM Navigator for i

Is there a way to turn off IPV6 while TCP is active, or do I need to ENDTCP and start it again?

On 11/4/2013 9:21 AM, Dan Kimmel wrote:
More than just CPU cycles: I'm not sure of all the mechanics, but there's a timeout wait for an IPV6 DNS server to respond before it'll kick down to IPV4. That timeout is repeated, and repeated, and repeated on every access to a server, even if the IP address is given in IPV4 notation.

Java always "prefers" IPV6 unless you tell it otherwise on the java command line. The product I develop for RJS is a java web-app that talks to a java web-service, both running on i. Our customers started installing 7.1 (where the default for starting IPV6 changed) and performance on our product fell through the floor for some customers even though they had moved to a faster machine. The solution turned out to be either to turn off IPV6, or to add the -preferIPV4=true flag on the java command line, or to configure IPV6 properly.