To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: DrFranken <MIDRANGE@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 10/22/2013 10:38AM
Subject: Re: 7.1 - Slipping LIC for Respin H

Do you have TR6 on this partition already plus current Cume, Hiper and
DB (plus likely others.) ???

If you do there is no need to slip in Respin H to that partition (or for
that matter Respin J which comes out 11/15.)

Understand that the point of the Respin is two fold:

1) To provide install capable media that will boot up and correctly
operate on newer hardware such as the 8202-E4D Power 7+ 720.
- This is because the hardware is newer than the previous re-spins and
so IBM releases media with code updated to support the new hardware.
2) To reduce the time it takes to do an install of a new partition from
IBM Media.
- This is because many PTFs are already applied by IBM to the LIC and
the base O/S and thus you don't need to spend your time installing them.

SO if you already HAVE all those PTFs in place, especially the current
TR, you don't need to Slip the LIC, you are just re-doing some of those
PTFs in a different way and then reloading other afterword!

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.frankeni.com
www.iDevCloud.com
www.iInTheCloud.com

On 10/22/2013 10:16 AM, ChadB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hello... I will be slip installing the 7.1 LIC to get Respin H on a
server
> before migrating it to new hardware. The OS is already at the
current
> respin level.
>

> If I am only slipping the LIC code, when I apply PTFs (cume, hiper,
and
> pretty much all groups) can I only apply the ones for 5770999?
>
> Or does it just make more sense to load all the groups for all the
> products...?

list
at [2]http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l.

Scanned by IBM Email Security Management Services powered by MessageLabs.
For more information please visit
[3]http://www-935.ibm.com/services/us/index.wss/offerfamily/iss/a1026954