On 07 Oct 2013 17:13, Roberto José Etcheverry Romero wrote:
Yes, but that implies that I've already loaded the PTFs and they are
ready to be applied. Kinda late if one of them breaks something to
learn about.
I was thinking that maybe there was some way to get a query of
something along those lines to compare against the cumulative and
groups' manifest (which doesn't prune the superseded but it helps).
All in all I want to avoid a 10AM call after installing the latest
cumulative just because the client didn't test all the services that
the system has...
Besides, it's been said a lot "Read the cover letters before
applying"...

I do not understand the concerns, first because a loaded PTF can be removed instead of applied, second because a loaded but not-yet applied PTF allows one to read the cover letter "before applying", and third because a loaded PTF is not an applied PTF [except IIRC a special and rare class of "special handling PTFs listed in PTF groups", but only for INSPTF, not LODPTF] for which only the *apply* of the PTF has the capability to /break/ anything plus any superseded PTFs that were permanently applied per *APYPERM for the Superseded PTFs (SPRPTF) parameter were already temporarily applied so any difficulties should have been identified and handled.

Nonetheless, alternatively, the LODPTF allows for the Copy PTF cover letter (COVER) parameter to specify *ONLY such that the "cover letter is copied into a physical file but PTF is not loaded" from the specified device\media. Thus any PTF that has the status showing that the cover letter is present [available IIRC, from DSPPTF], for which the PTF is not [loaded nor] applied, but the PTF may be superseded, would be a PTF that is going to be installed from that media. The Path identifier (PATHID) parameter can specify the option *SELECT [if used interactively], in conjunction with the /product/ and /release/ if desired.
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/topic/cl/lodptf.htm

As well, for all PTFs that are not already tracked to the system, the Copy Program Temporary Fix to Save File (QPZCPYSV) API could be used to copy all PTFs into *SERVICE and their cover letters in QAPZCOVER, "that do not have a status of superseded, temporarily applied, or permanently applied on your system." These I know are available via the Display PTF (DSPPTF) [which has an OUTFILE capability to ease automation]:
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/topic/apis/qpzcpysv.htm
_i Copy Program Temporary Fix to Save File (QPZCPYSV) API i_
"...
The Copy Program Temporary Fix to Save File (QPZCPYSV) API allows you to copy all program temporary fixes (PTFs) for the selected product from the media and store them in *SERVICE. The PTFs can then be displayed, loaded, or copied using the PTF commands. PTF group information can also be copied in addition to the PTFs.

A save file is created in library QGPL for each PTF that is copied. You can use the Retrieve Program Temporary Fix Information (QPZRTVFX) API to obtain the name of the save file.

If the PTF already exists in *SERVICE, the PTF is not copied.

Cover letters are copied to file QAPZCOVER in library QGPL.
..."

Regards, Chuck