From: Hoteltravelfundotcom <hoteltravelfun@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 10/03/2013 02:07 PM
Subject: Re: how to include a partial field in this view?

plain like this works:
select MHORDR FROM
SHP4VAR27F.MFH1MH WHERE MHORDR = '0257666101'

however when adding in the fancy substringing, no can do.

1. Token . was not valid. Valid tokens: , FROM INTO.
select MHORDR, LEFT(MHORDR,8), SUBSTR(MHORDR,1,8), FROM
SHP4VAR27F.MFH1MH WHERE MHORDR = '0257666101'

2. Token . was not valid. Valid tokens: , FROM INTO.
select MHORDR, LEFT(MHORDR,8), FROM
SHP4VAR27F.MFH1MH WHERE MHORDR = '0257666101'

3. Token . was not valid. Valid tokens: , FROM INTO.
select MHORDR, SUBSTR(MHORDR,1,8), FROM
SHP4VAR27F.MFH1MH WHERE MHORDR = '0257666101'

so I am
deducing that you cannot select on a field like this.