POWERHA supports multiple targets so you could create a second partition on the either box. Mirror to that also and then do the same thing there that you do now on the HA box to do the backups. However this way you're not stopping replication to the HA server and thus that server stays in sync.

Do be aware that with POWERHA there is no true 'queuing of changes' like there would be with the journal based tools. With PowerHA it's a bitmap of sectors that need to be updated. This is an advantage in that if the same disk sector gets update 100,000 times during the time the iASPS are disconnected, then POWERHA needs only to send it one time so 'catch-up' is faster. The Journal based tools need to send every change, and likely before and after as well. However it's not an advantage should you lose the production when the servers are disconnected as you have no way to recover from it. With the journal based tools you MIGHT be OK if the journal entries are already across the wire just not yet applied. You are still just as hosed however if it's a comm failure and all those journal transactions are stuck on the now-dead production server. Just food for thought.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.frankeni.com
www.iDevCloud.com
www.iInTheCloud.com