Please understand no offense intended here but you need to school up on Flex! Hopefully that was the intent of your question.

First you need to think SAN with Flex (or blade) so all the storage will be on a SAN. Once you have SAN storage then you won't be having a partition on the Flex that is a host for disk for other. With standalone Power Systems we do that all the time but not with flex or blade.

Additionally with SAN there is technology to move heavily used data from 'spinny disk' to SSD. So you put that in the SAN as well and let the SAN handle them.

You will have at least one VIOS partition, (preferably two for redundancy), that map the storage on the SAN to the IBM i Partitions. This way every IBM i partition is completely independent from the others.

You can keep your HMC but Only if you put JUST POWER compute nodes into your Flex. If you also want Intel in there then you'll need the Flex management node instead.

Much more to learn of course but this addresses your primary questions I think.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.frankeni.com
www.iDevCloud.com
www.iInTheCloud.com