I'm boldly delving into the mysteries of Brocade Switches. We have Zones configured to cross-link 3 LPARs to 4 tape drives. This configuration works fine. The drives are all LTO-4, one in a TS3100 (3573-020) and three in a TS3310 (3576-05B) MLB.

We need to retrieve some old data from the archives. We have a Storage Tek T9840C tape drive with fiber ports. I think I've successfully added the 'new' drive to the Zones for the LPARs (just a 'simple' addition...). The GUI interface to the switch shows the new drive as "03590E1A-F27E" with the port light green; the Brocade SAN health report shows the new drive as "3590 IBM Tape Drive (Storage Tek Library)," pointing to the zones for each of the LPARs. As far as I can tell.

The new drive doesn't show up in the iSeries LPARs. I've rebooted one, but no changes. SST doesn't show any devices in error, and a configuration list doesn't show the new drive. Looking for TAP* devices only shows the existing MLBs and drives.

My question is-does the T9840C drive require a separate controller, or does the drive have enough intelligence to stand alone?

What else can I check? Any suggestions will be cheerfully tried!

Thanks!

Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx