The error you posted explicitly means that it couldn't find a matching CA certificate, so the root/intermediate certs are almost certainly the problem.

You can't load CA certificates into a particular application (like FTP, Telnet, SMTP, etc). So I guess I don't understand your question about "how should he load them". He should load them as CA certificates, not application certificates. Load the root one first, then the intermediate.

Once he has those loaded, you should create a NEW application ID (do not use one of the existing ones) named for YOUR application. Maybe something like MYRON_HTTPS or something... Whatever you want to call it, but I strongly recommend starting it with your company name so that it does not conflict with other company's certs. Then load the application certificate (as a client certificate) directly into that new profile.

Then, use https_init('MYRON_HTTPS') in your RPG program that uses HTTPAPI so it knows which DCM profile to use.