Applying a false implication\perception of how the CPYF via DDM functions, then probably there would be no chance that the Copy File via DDMFile would be able to compete. However accepting that the DDM is not limited to single-row I/O and the CPYF to DDMF does not require exclusive allocation [except for the clear to effect MBROPT(*REPLACE)], then the answer is most definitely instead, that "It depends." And a bulk copy is *always* best effected using FROMRCD(1) except when the target data must be ordered. The biggest problem I see with CPYF, is that use of CPYF will not be able to deal with isolation nor generally /transactional/ update activity; at least not without great care, where the care taken would likely be implemented with exclusive allocation of the data. All that said... Save and Restore is almost always the fastest and best for homogeneous movement of large amount of database data; external media might be the best option to limit impacts mostly to the source system, but very fast disk, available CPU, and large pipelines can suffice for some scenarios.

Regards, Chuck