The doc on the exit does mention involvement of the client. Gary has the answer, I think.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-
bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Monnier, Gary
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 1:52 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: QIBM_QTG_DEVINIT

Auto-signon does not work with TN5250. In iSeries Access I suspect you have
the Bypass Signon box selected. This tells iSeries Access to use the TN5250E
protocol.

In iSeries Access try deselecting Bypass Signon then try connecting. This will
tell iSeries Access to use the TN5250 protocol. You may have to restart your
client to have the change take effect.

Here's a link to the TN5250E RFC. The " Enhanced Display Auto-Signon and
Password" section should answer most of your questions.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tn3270e-tn5250e-05