Employer exchanges data with a company using scp. Company decided to
replace existing server.. I have no idea what is on the other end.

There are two scripts. Each ends with an scp command that looks like this:

scp -v ${PEDID}@${SERV}:${PATHE}$1 ${PATHO}

Currently, there are four spaces between $1 and ${PATHO}. But, the
log shows no spaces at all. Which is an error.

I have tried

${PATHE}$1 \ ${PATHO}

thinking the internal field separator is causing the blanks to be
removed. No change. I even put everything following the -v inside
double quote characters. That didn't work either, but maybe I put them
in the wrong place.

Guy on the other end is clueless. He believes the problem is with the
SERV variable. I have told him, several times, that the connection is
being made to the server AND authenticated.

I am running out of ideas.

I have suggested to him, several times, that IFS might be involved.

Any suggestions?

John McKee