I would start with the DDS manual on printing.

There is no "basic" discussion of AFPDS.

From your description, all of that can be handled using DDS and basic printing
methods.

1. Are you using overlays ?
2. Are you using an existing external print file ?
3. Font selection depends on the printer and print stream being used.

Here is the basic font info:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/index.jsp?topic=%2Frzalu%2Frzalureffontinfo.htm

Are you printing to a pdf or from a pdf ?