On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 11:36 AM, <rob@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think Query/400 counts as a reporting tool. Lots of users here using
that. "significant IT staff support" is up for debate.

We have a few users that are fairly self-sufficient in what amounts to
an overgrown Query/400. (Everyone here seems to refer to it as
"Report Writer"... I think it may be some version of NGS IQ software.)

I agree with Buck that it's these users who *might* be able to
transition to some other reporting tool, but the ones who can't or
won't use Query/400 or similar probably won't have any greater success
with other tools.

I also agree that user-friendly views (or equivalent) are key to
*anyone* being able to use the data productively. This is especially
important if your database is seriously normalized. Of late I've had
to work with some Oracle stuff which involves joining three or four
tables to do the most basic of data retrieval tasks. I feel like I'm
swimming (drowning!) in a sea of ID columns that must be linked
together. If the files on our i were designed like that, even our
most query-proficient users would have a tough time of it without some
helpful logicals.

John