Solved!

Ok, it might be just slightly different in power suse linux.

cd /etc
ls ntp*
I saw ntp.conf instead of ntpd.conf
cp ntp.conf ntp.conf.20130802.bak
vi ntp.conf
I changed
server 127.127.1.0 # local clock (LCL)
fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10 # LCL is unsynchronized
server 10.10.1.1 # gdslan-v1 Rob Berendt, Group Dekko
2013-08-02
server 127.127.1.0 # local clock (LCL)
fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10 # LCL is unsynchronized
saved that
ran: rcntp start
Starting network time protocol daemon (NTPD) done
It could take an hour or so for the time drift so I'll check that after
lunch.

I should have ran the ps -ef to see if it was already running or if I need
to figure out how to add it at startup.

Now this
hqlinux2:/etc # ps -ef|grep ntp
ntp 19468 1 0 11:13 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/ntpd -p
/var/run/ntp/ntpd.pid -g -u ntp:ntp -i /var/lib/ntp -c /etc/ntp.conf
root 19851 18803 0 11:17 pts/0 00:00:00 grep ntp
Hopefully the rcntp is a restart and that's why the time is current and
that it's not the result of that it wasn't running in the first place.

How did I figure out what editor to use? Well I looked up the dos edit
command and used the first one that worked.
http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/unix_for_dos_users.html

What documentation did I use for ntp?
http://doc.opensuse.org/documentation/html/openSUSE/opensuse-reference/cha.netz.xntp.html

How did I figure out what fudge meant?