Hello,

This error occurs because your browser doesn't trust the web server at
the HMC.

HTTPS works with SSL certificiates, which basically consists out of a
system of proving your identity. The Root Certificate Authority issues
certificates for Canonical Names (which is most probably the DNS name
of your web server when using HTTPS).
Translated to human terms, you can see a CA as a government, and a
certificate as an ID card: it is a proof that the CA recognizes your
identity and trusts you as a user. This way other people visiting the
server can be sure that the server is who he claims to be, after all,
the users trust the certificate authority and the CA trusts the server
using that certificate.

You can read more about that over here:
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/a-beginners-guide-to-public-key-infrastructure/

There are several tutorials/articles about PLI (Public Key
Infrastructure on the Internetworks, try to read through a few till
you think you have an idea of about what is going on).

To solve your problem, you must convince your browser that the Web
Server on the HMC is trusted, and there are a few ways to do this:

1. Confirm the exception every time.
This is what you do now, the browser doesn't trust the certificate,
since it doesn't know the Root CA (or the authority issuing the
certificate). In this case this is not IBM, but the server itself,
since it will use what they call a "self signed certificate" - this
means that the server uses a certificate trusted by the certificate
itself, which conforms to that you show a self-written note to the
customs office at the border of a country saying "I am a citizen of
Yvania. Signed, Yvan Janssens".

Since this basically proves nothing, since nobody would trust me that
I say that I am a citizen of Yvania, this has little value to
validating my identity, but on a computer this is also used to encrypt
the communication to the HTTPS service. This way nobody on the network
can read e.g. the login when the username/password is sent to the HMC
over the network, without putting a significant effort in it.

2. Use your company's PKI (if you have one).

Many corporations have a local CA, which is used for internal network
services. During the deployment/installation of devices to be used on
the network, this CA is trusted by the system administrator installing
the system. This way your local security officer or CISO can create
certificates which are trusted inside the office (since certificates
from a root CA such as GoDaddy/Verisign cost $$$$ each certificate,
and require special set up for each server according to their
requirements for being able to use the certificate).

Try to reach for your local security contact at the company you work
for, and ask about how to use PKI/HTTPS, and he'd be glad to help you
out - many CISOs/SecOfrs shudder by the thought of someone logging in
to a web server at the local network without using HTTPS, so you might
use that in your advantage.

3. Put the HMC certificate in the trusted store of your local computer.

This required considerable effort and reduces maintainability, since
this action must be carried out for every HMC you use, and every
laptop/desktop/tablet/<insert other device accessing the web interface
here>. Information about this can be found at

http://blogs.adobe.com/livecycle/2012/04/rights-management-how-to-get-windows-7-to-trust-a-self-signed-server-certificate.html

I hope you understand the use of HTTPS/SSL/PKI a little bit now,
and/or have pointers on where to look for when seeking
help/documentation/clarification. It is a tedious and quite
complicated thing, but you don't need to know every technical detail
of it to use it correctly.

As a sidenote, this email is signed using PGP - which uses a similar
system. The text in front and after my message contain the data from
which an email client with PGP support can be very assured that I sent
this email, and that nobody else spoofed my email address to send you
this message.

Yvan

PS: I work as a security engineer at a +12000 employee company, don't
hesitate to email specific questions related to this subject/this case