I spent my evening doing more research and came across this link:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas12a88ac3027a20c7a86256a8e004aefd6

/SNIP
Programs that use display files that have *DS3 (24 X 80) or *DS4 (27 X 132) receive error message CPF4169.

An OPEN to a DSPF fails with error message CPF4169 F/QWSOPEN X/0DCC T/usrpgm. This happens when placing a record format that is defined as *DS3 over a *DS4 or reversed. The message CPF4169 (at some PTF level before APAR SA78035) was buried by the work station code. Now that the latest PTFs for the work station component have been loaded, this message is issued when a situation that is not valid is encountered. In other words, trying to write to a display size that is not provided for by the DSPSIZ keyword produces the message CPF4169. Not using DSPSIZ means the file is a 24 X 80 file.

Problem Summary: Certain combinations of using two display files, when the second one uses the ASSUME keyword, cause invalid data streams or lost backgrounds when the second file is written. The display files use different screen sizes (24 x 80 or 27 x 132).

Problem Conclusion: The following combinations of screen sizes are supported when the ASSUME keyword is present in a second file are supported.

1.The first file is opened at 24 x 80, and the second file is opened at 24 X 80.

2.The first file is opened at 27 x 132, and the second file is opened at 27 x 132.

3.The first file is opened at 27 x 132, and the second file is opened at 24 x 80; however, the DSPMOD keyword is active when the first record of the second file is written. The DSPMOD must switch the screen for the second file size to 27 x 132.

Any other combination of screen size switching will cause the ASSUME keyword to be ignored, and the screen is cleared when the first record of the second file is written.

/End-Snip

I figured it out. My second program had a dummy record with the assume keyword in it. I never used it, it was just there. (cloned code, silly me). I removed that record and voila it works !

Cyndi B.
Boise, ID