Just to add my .02...

Yesterday I had to call 1-800-IBM-HELP. I had an SE onsite to replace the
cache batteries. We had an issue that required a call to support.

The person who took the call could barely speak and understand English. I
suspect he was located east of the middle east but west of China.

He got my customer number wrong, and consequently the customer name wrong
too. I had to repeat the customer number three times.

When asked to describe the nature of the problem, after a few attempts the
SE got on the phone to describe the problem. By the time he was done he was
as frustrated as I was. The SE also stated he and his collegues tell their
management about how bad the first level of support is, and their reply is
that it saves IBM (and makes shareholders) money.

Now IMO, if IBM can't see beyond the quarterly report they are doomed to
end up like Dell, HP and all the others who have become just another 'we
don't care about customers' but instead only $$$ business.
When support asked for the call back number (typically my desk) I told him
(support) to use and gave him a different number (the data center).

Guess where the call came to? Luckily the IBM SE onsite happened to be in
my office at the time the phone rang and picked up the phone and Jim from
Rochester was on the other end.

I can't wait for the email asking about the quality of support I received
on this PMR so I can tell them the first level of phone support I received
was absolutely the worst experience I ever had when calling 800-IBM-HELP.

I pray that US business take a hint from Japan and start planning for their
existance 10 years down the road instead their shortsighted three to six
months, but I'm not holding my breath.