Paul--

While replacing the motherboard feels an awful lot like a brain transplant, we went through one 2 hardware generations ago-- IIRC something got plugged in and misaligned some pins, which caused the problem. The system ran, but generated errors. Our data survived the transplant, but it was a breath-holding weekend.

We just moved to 740-8205-E6C (with a V7000 SAN for the disks) in the past 6 months. We had to replace the HMC motherboard; so far (>knock-knock<!) that's the only hardware issue.

Generally, the only issue we've had with IBM hardware has been stray disk failures. With the v7000 we have 240 disks, so my thought is that we have about 2X-3X more disks than ever before, and (depending on disk reliability and MTBF (Mean Time Before Failure)) we now have increased chances for disks to fail. But that's what RAID &c are for!

We have had a couple of LTO-4 tapes that rewound funny and mis-aligned the metal pin at the end of the tape, which distorted the cartridge shell, which then didn't fit the slots in the tape library, and jammed the machinery.

Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx