On 03 Jun 2013 07:43, rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
<<SNIP>>

On my 'client' I ran:
CRTDEVOPT DEVD(optfixes) RSRCNAME(*VRT) LCLINTNETA(*SRVLAN)
RMTINTNETA('10.10.1.194') NETIMGDIR('/fixes/cume')
Ownership of object OPTFIXES in QSYS type *DEVD changed.
Description for device OPTFIXES created.
wrkcfgsts *dev opt*
Vary on completed for device OPTFIXES.
INSPTF LICPGM((*ALL)) DEV(OPTFIXES) INSTYP(*DLYALL)
Media or device error occurred. OPT1605, RC 01
Function check. OPT1605 unmonitored by QPZINSFX at statement *N,
instruction X'04F3'.
PTF install processing failed.

Nothing in the Product Activity Log.
Nothing in the Service Action log.
For either the host or client.

Per typical, the /context/ of the errors is not available from a copy\paste from an interactive joblog. The spooled joblog produced with LOG(4 0 *SECLVL) is an appropriate means to communicate the details while including the necessary context for the errors. While the inclusion of the error message identifier and reason code are admirable [esp. as compared to what others might have provided], that does not include the additional details like the from\to programs, procs, etc. :-( A lack of the necessary details does not allow for a thorough search for known similar or matching issues.

The error msgOPT1605 rc01 T/QPZINSFX x/04F3 may be unmonitored by that PTF installation program [and likely is considered a defect], but the actual error of concern is with the /optical device/ for which any other attempt to use that device might also fail with the same error... but not effect the function check for a lack of the error being monitored. For example, what happens when WRKIMGCLG is tried instead? I did not read the messages at the following link, but there appear to be some links offered in a a reply in the thread and some IBM i 7.1 configuration settings to check:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/topic?id=77777777-0000-0000-0000-000014877146