On 5/21/2013 8:44 PM, Vernon Hamberg wrote:

In a 5250 session, STRSQL and start with CREATE VIEW then press F4 -
it'll prompt you for the SELECT statement that defines the view.

Easy-peasy!

I agree this is easy. Maybe too easy. Among my few regrets on this
platform is the fact that I personally used STRSQL to do things like
CREATE VIEW and GRANT. There's nothing wrong with STRSQL - it works
great! The problem comes when I need to re-create the view for some
reason. Could be a DR scenario and the view was locked and not on the
tapes. Could be trying to create a new LPAR or a new test library.

I personally use i Navigator scripts to do all of this work now. I keep
them in the IFS, with names that make it easy enough to work out what
script does what. For instance, there's a script for the accounts
receivable tables, and it has the CREATE VIEWs and CREATE INDEXEs that
go along with the A/R. If I need to re-run anything it's a simple
matter to run just the one statement. They're stored with a .SQL
extension, and I use Windows Explorer to find them: a double click
brings up the SQL Script functionality in iNav, so I don't even need to
crank up the full iNav GUI.

Before I used iNav scripts, I used RUNSQLSTM and stored my scripts in
regular source members.