From: Matt Olson <Matt.Olson@xxxxxxxx>
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 12:01 PM
Subject: RE: cloud services with new development on IBM i on Power

Here's your different subsystems you can't seem to find:

Windows Subsystem overview: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architecture_of_Windows_NT
Linux subsystem overview: http://kernelnewbies.org/Documentation/Subsystems

In an example our MS SQL Server has several sub systems, the integration services sub system, the SQL Agent sub system, the database subsystem.  Where-in you can set various resource governor settings on the database subsystem or create entire new instances of them and set processor affinity's to the various instances in addition to resource governance.  A good introduction on this is here: http://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/1720/handling-workloads-on-sql-server-2008-with-resource-governor/.

A library list is just a list of databases.  A library contains 1 or more files/tables,views, etc.  The concept applied to other systems is called a "database".  All database platforms I've ever dealt with have the same concept, just different terminology.

Wonder why the NASDAQ choose to run their platform on windows instead of the IBM i?  Read this: http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Case_Study_Detail.aspx?CaseStudyID=49271 (this example is switch from Tandem mainframes not AS400).  Here is one for AS400 if you're interested: http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Case_Study_Detail.aspx?casestudyid=4000011186