On 14 May 2013 19:41, John McKee wrote:
Thanks. Nice to know what they were used for.

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 9:37 PM, Pete Massiello wrote:

Those programs in QGPL are your CISC to RISC programs.

John McKee on Tuesday, May 14, 2013 11:44 AM wrote:

<<SNIP>> Just ran ANZOBJCVN. <<SNIP>>

Three programs in QGPL from v1r2m0 and v2r1m0: QDCUPF, QRZHWUG1,
and QRZHWUG2. All *SYSTEM State.

There is probably little value in knowing for what they were used, because there is nothing worthwhile to be done with them, other than DLTPGM. Those objects serve no purpose since they can not be run on the current release nor can they make the transition to any newer release.

Given that, almost nobody should really care about any further details, but I offer this clarification anyhow:

In the link to the thread that I had offered in a prior message, some similar statements were made about the purpose of those program. But the additional link that I gave in my prior message, was to my response which gives the actual description [from the PTF cover letters] for what those programs were used; model hardware changes, with no mention of RISC:

The listed program objects QDCUPF, QRZHWUG1, QRZHWUG2 were incapable of making a valid transition from CISC to RISC, just like those objects will not be capable of making a valid transition to v6 according to the ANZOBJCVN; i.e. both the transition to RISC and the transition to v6 require the program be capable of re-translation, and those programs are not eligible for a re-translation for either transition. And FWiW, those programs were delivered several releases [v2r1m1, v2r2, v2r3, v3r1] before a RISC [to v3r6+] transition was supported [which came with v3r1 and v3r2; the programs were noted to be from v1 and v2r1], so they almost certainly had no function with regard to effecting a RISC transition.? As Rob wrote in that old thread, the programs "predate CISC to RISC by a few years and are more related to upgrades from B models to their replacements."

Thus the correlation of those program objects to the transition to RISC, would seem to be nothing more than their appearance in a list of diagnosed objects [by the feature that did what ANZOBJCVN does] in preparation for the transition to RISC, just as they are being found and diagnosed by ANZOBJCVN in preparation for the transition to V6+.