LOL John - just don't ask me to remember product IDs - 5733 vs 5799 or whatever is the latest release' code!

There's a lot of curious stuff rummaging around the back of my personal memory banks. Just input the right parameters and who knows what you'll find!

On 5/13/2013 5:31 PM, John Yeung wrote:
On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 1:31 PM, Vern Hamberg <vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I believe there is a developer tool ZIP command - the 5733-PTL stuff, as I
recall. I don't know how that compares.
I found this amusing:

*** begin ***
Subject: Re: Qshell Editor?
From: vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006

5733-PTL is pretty neat - be aware that the VNC server is running in PASE, not
QShell. And the editor runs in a VNC client on your pc. The EZ editor is one
used internally a lot at IBM, and Emacs is pretty amazing - especially to be
able to run it on an iSeries. PTL also has stuff for getting spooled files to
the VNC client, lots of interesting things.
*** end ***

The above was followed promptly by

*** begin ***
From: rob@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006

By the way, it is 5799-PTL, not 5733-PTL. And you can download it free at
http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/enable/site/porting/tools/faqs.html
And, in case they haven't updated the readme as of earlier this week, you
can run it on V5R4.

Rob Berendt

The zip included in that package is GNU's gzip.

Impressive that you still (sort of) remember it after almost 7 years, Vern! :D

John