I think the GM/Chevrolet analogy is not fitting. That's a 3-level structure. IBM/IBM i is a 2-level structure.

That makes it rather pointless, seems to me, to argue for either side with that analogy. Let's find one that fits better, if we must.

As for me, one thing I see about the AS/400 name is its relative longevity. The change from S/36 or S/38 was after 8 years in the latter case. I believe it was several more years before the first name change again. Would need to check Trevor's pages.

In my current situation, I have people that have used the AS/400 name for 25 years. In fact, the entire user community uses that term. I am bringing in awareness of the current name, albeit rather slowly. And some are picking up on it.

But right now is not the time to push too hard - we are going through a centralization geographically, which is rife with all manner of headaches and pain.

We currently run a 550 - at least 8 years old. I hope we can push for a new box next year, and I think it'd be cool to announce that we've replaced the AS/400 with the modern IBM i.

So I'm a bit of an evangelist for this platform here. I'm not alone, my manager(s) are supportive and interested. And I've been lucky to have been in the middle of some of the new stuff. And people listen when I respond to comments from other divisions, such as "Isn't that a really old, out-of-date system?" They really do listen, and I try to avoid the deer-in-the-headlights look!

There is hope here. I'm encouraged by what I see. So on we go to the current state of marvels we all know!!

Vern