VIO Server can run with both internal and external storage as can IBM i hosting. I don't have partitions that are big enough to stress them out, but customers have done both IBM i hosting and VIO Server hosting. Neither one seems to outrun the other in the workloads they have (10K transactions/hour with plenty of DASD arms), but there is a big difference in the management of them. VIO Server might be slighly more flexible and has a few features IBM i hosting does not, IBM i hosting is much simpler to set up and requires a much lower learning curve. I think the larger the environment the more VIO Server tends to be the better choice, but that is very arguable.

Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects