My experience with journaling is that yeah it tells you who changed
something but doesn't tell you what. Am I wrong about that? It's been a
long time since I looked at journals. The request is to have a history of
what was changed and by who, what and when.

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 11:23 AM, Monnier, Gary <Gary.Monnier@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

Michael,

Not to start a religious war but not all things need be SQL based.
Sometimes it is wiser to look at alternatives and leverage a platform's
strengths.

Assuming your history file is for inquiries why not switch to journaling
the file? You can have a program park on the journal and load your history
file. The exit program ("Program to receive entries" parameter) for the
RCVJRNE can be SQL based.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:
midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Michael Schutte
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 6:43 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: SQL Triggers where Production and Test on Same iSeries

We current have our test environment on the same box as our production
environment. Recently I've created SQL Triggers to record changes to
master files to a history file. When we switch from production to test we
get an error that I haven't been able to figure out how to solve.

Member QTRG000001 already exists in file QTRG000001 in library QTEMP.
SQL system error.
Function check. SQL0901 unmonitored by QDBUDR at statement *N, instruction
X'076C'.
Failure for device or member ITEMST file ITEMST in library WDLSDATA
CPF5257 I/O error was detected in ITEMST

I know that the issue is that while in production, changes were made to the
ITEMST file, therefore, the trigger was created in QTEMP. Then when I
switch to test and make a change to the ITEMST. (Obviously, ITEMST is in
another library.) That's when I get this error. To resolve, I just sign
off and sign back on again, without making changes in production, I switch
immediately to test and I'm fine.

Anybody have suggestions.

FYI, we do plan on moving test from the production box, however, we will
have the same issue when we do do that (do do ha-ha) . As we will have an
environment where programs, file structures etc match production on the
production box, a Q/A environment and a development environment (which is
basically just Q/A with the developer library).

Thank you.