On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 8:43 AM, Vernon Hamberg <vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
CPYPF2XLS still seems to suffer from really slow performance. This seems
somewhat in common with the other POI-based RPG-call solutions.

Makes me wonder about extra overhead, if any, when running Java methods
from RPG.

Scott Klement has found the Java calls in his POI-based stuff a major
drag on performance. When he converted his Excel 2007+ (.xlsx)
project to pure RPG, it ran like lightning (something like 60 times
faster than calling Java from RPG).

I still prefer using Python to generate Excel files. There is a new
package, called XlsxWriter[1], ported from a Perl project, which is
*extremely* full-featured and programmer-friendly. I'll bet its
performance is also better than POI-from-RPG solutions (but not nearly
as fast as Scott's pure-RPG solution). I will definitely be updating
my cpytoxlsf.py (which uses xlwt[2] to generate .xls) to also use
XlsxWriter when I get a chance. (I might as well use the same program
to handle both formats; it will figure out what you want from the
extension on the requested filename.)

John

[1] https://pypi.python.org/pypi/XlsxWriter
[2] https://pypi.python.org/pypi/xlwt