The DSPPGMREF command doc notes the following:
"Entries can be added as the ILE program or service program is updated
using UPDPGM or UPDSRVPGM, but entries are never removed."

As I understand it, UPDSRVPGM has no way of knowing that the original file
reference was completely replaced. You could conceivably have a module
that still makes use of the original format. Thus the multiple entries.

Everything, ie. level checks, still works as they should. You
can verify that yourself by OVRBDF to an older version of the file before
calling a program that makes use of your updated *SRVPGM.

HTH,
Charles

Charles