The FETCH locks the row either according to the isolation level of the statement [which could be from a with-isolation-clause or SET OPTION or an equivalent parameter] or according to the implicit update capability of the SELECT [when missing a FOR READ ONLY clause] or its explicit update-clause specification [i.e. FOR UPDATE <OF ...>].

Unlike with RPG where a row update operation causes the releases lock to be released, with the SQL it is not the UPDATE statement that releases the lock when there is no commitment control [i.e. isolation WITH NC]. The CLOSE of the cursor will drop the UPDATE-lock held on the row when the row was updated with NO COMMIT. When run under isolation however, it is the COMMIT that will cause the update lock to be dropped.

Regards, Chuck