"Azure's provisioning interfaces are pretty slick, but you can find
something quite comparable by using IBM Smartcloud Entry, on Power Servers."

Which is ultimately my point. Microsoft's server offerings are mature,
stable, and secure. The i community cannot afford to ignore that. Nor
will the i community (or the Linux/Unix and mainframe communities) be taken
seriously when they badmouth Windows. Quite simply: The maturity state of a
decade ago just doesn't matter today.

BTW, if you're buying storage, yeah, you use the storage model. But I was
talking about adding storage to a provisioned server. For that you don't
sign up for any added services; storage is built in to the server
provisioning model. Cost scales as you add more capacity & complexity, but
it remains dirt cheap compared to running your own infrastructure.

MS is doing a road show around the US covering IaaS - Infrastructure as a
Service. It's free and takes an entire day. Presentations in the morning
and labs in the afternoon (and free breakfast/lunch) where you create and
manage your own Azure server images & mini-VLAN using the free 90 day trial
account. I'd encourage anyone who wants to see an approach to
virtualization other than IBM's to sign up.