I'm not sure if they'll be migrated if read. But I don't think they'll be migrated just because you name the UNIT. You'll have to do something overt to make them move.

Look at the ASP balance commands. They'll probably move the sectors to the SSD.

Remember that DB2 doesn't store records on disk. It stores records in virtual memory. Virtual memory pages are swapped to disk sectors. Storage preferences like the UNIT parameter are suggestions to memory management.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Robert Rogerson
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2013 11:14 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Migrating a file to SSD...

<snip>
If you only add records and never read them, what good is putting the file
on SSD?
</snip>

Oops, I meant write and never update...wait, are you saying they will get
migrated even if read (not for update)?

On 2013-02-28 11:51 AM, Dan Kimmel wrote:

<snip>
If I wrote a program (I'm not saying I'll do this) to update every record
in the file it would then be 100% on the SSD?
</snip>

Yes, but there are easier ways. Take Sue Baker's suggestion and call support.

If you only add records and never read them, what good is putting the file on SSD?