On 2/22/2013 1:39 PM, Matt Olson wrote:
Where are you getting this information? Please cite research that proves this. We are talking about stuff that has only been finalized in 2009 via the OPAL group. Are you thinking of bitlocker or some other software based solution?

Self encrypting drives are completely different.

I have no citation and google isn't helping so take what I say with less than a grain of salt but back when they were first coming out people kept finding implementation vulnerabilities in the encryption on some of the consumer oriented disks. I remember reading about it on risks digest or one of the other security lists. If you think about it SED's are not a good solution to disposal. Encryption that is very hard to crack now might be a simple task 1 5 or even 10 years from now. Encryption certainly helps against theft or eventual sale but encryption!=destruction so it's a question of how valuable the data is. I'm willing to bet the data on most organizations' System i systems is "the" data to destroy.

Personally I'd like to be in control of the encryption so that I can harden it as time goes on and new discoveries dictate.

Thanks,
Mark