If he's using an SSIS package to transfer the data it is probably about as simple as it can get, most of our SSIS packages have no lines of code at all. Just point and click data flows like a lot of powerful ETL packages on the market.

Not only is it easier to transfer data with SSIS it also is a self-describing workflow that doesn't require you to print pages of RPG or .NET code that does the same thing. Instead you end up with easy to read data flows like this: http://i.msdn.microsoft.com/dynimg/IC144458.gif or more complicated data flows like this: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/getfile/133440

Sean, what were the results of changing the package encryption level as I had suggested in the previous postings?

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Schoen [mailto:richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2013 11:07 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Microsoft Integration Services password

Confusion abounds :-)

Based on my understanding of your needs I was advocating having an RPG program front end the SQL Server.

In other words. RPG Read/Write to SQL Server as a Client as needed.

No more DTS and no .Net programming or PC side scripting needed.

Regards,
Richard Schoen
RJS Software Systems Inc.
Where Information Meets Innovation
Document Management, Workflow, Report Delivery, Forms and Business Intelligence
Email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web Site: http://www.rjssoftware.com
Tel: (952) 736-5800
Fax: (952) 736-5801
Toll Free: (888) RJSSOFT

message: 6
date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 23:42:39 -0500
from: "Porterfield, Sean" <SPorterfield@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: RE: Microsoft Integration Services password

My comment about in place data was a reply to your comment about in place data. It sounded like you were suggesting not transferring data to the SQL Server, rather having it just read the data it needed from the IBM i when it needed it.
--
Sean Porterfield