Hi DrFranken,

This is the only battery that I found on the 2741 card:
http://carleynet.net/familypictures/albums/album70/2013_02_09_15_29_13_189.sized.jpg

Yes, by first slot, I meant L01. When attempting to configure any of the other disks, I get something like "Disk is Read/Write Protected". I may have come across an error message of some sort as well; googling the error I came across some IBM doc that mentioned I could only use the disk in slot L01, especially since this was a "new" install with the battery already being dead. I'll see if I can find that info again...

Everything else checks out that you mentioned. All of the drives do actually show up in the service tools; and they are all of the same model (no non-IBM drives). That "Read/Write Protected" message really had me scratching my head the other day though.

Thanks!
Clay Carley

DrFranken wrote:
Clay,
The battery that usually fails is not soldered to the board it's removable and replaceable (and cheap too!) However there is another battery there that could have failed (a small 'button' battery)

Nonetheless the 2748 is a straight up replacement. Simply do a clean pwrdwnsys, pull the power plug(s) and swap the cards. The 2748 is a bit quicker as well.

I am curious about your comment about using only the disks in the first slot. If by this you mean L01 only then there is a problem with the disk backplane in there. All four slots L01-L04 would be active with ANY of the supported RAID cards in that machine. If you are referring to the 6 slots over on the right side (assuming the presence of the expansion chassis) then that's almost certainly a cabling issue. When that 'side car' is attached a SCSI cable is routed through to the left side and connected to the second port (counting from the rear) of the RAID card. If that cable isn't there, no drives. Also of course there is a power supply in the side car that must be plugged in as well. I have encountered a few folks that thought it was a redundant power supply and not plugged it in.

I have also seen some folks load up NON AS/400 drives in there 'because they fit'. They won't work but report in as an unidentified SCSI device.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.frankeni.com
www.iDevCloud.com
www.iInTheCloud.com