My understanding is that the batteries are there to cater for
precisely this situation.

They (the cache batteries) aren't powered externally; they ensure the
cache guaranteed power and is therefore protected in the case of an
unexpected power loss.

That's why when the cache batteries fail, your performance is degraded
- the system doesn't use the cache as it is no longer guaranteed
protected.