On 1/3/13 1:21 PM, Tom Hightower wrote:
We have a few HP Color LaserJet CP3505n printers. They're ok, but we're
feeling their age. We use them for printing our invoices + envelopes from
the System i (with logos, etc), plus various other office printings.

We normally print around 100 pages a day, with about 40 envelopes.
Occasionally (once or twice a year) we'll go crazy and print a few thousand
pages (for conferences and such).

Any recommendations on replacement printers?

Dunno what it would take to drive them from a midrange system, but I'm very impressed with Samsung's color laser printers. I've used my own little "inkjet killer" CLP-315 for everything from general printing to my annual run of Christmas cards since sometime in 2010, and while it takes a bit of tweaking to get magazine-quality pictures out of it, it has, nonetheless, exceeded expectations in terms of speed, economy, and durability. Not to mention being no noisier than a B&W laser. (I think it's because Samsung, unlike HP, Canon, and Epson, doesn't have a huge number of inkjet patents to keep profitable, and so it has no reason not to compete directly with the inkjet market.)

And I believe they do make heavier-duty machines. Although I have no direct experience with them.

About a year before I got the Samsung, I bought a color laser (I don't remember whether it was HP or Xerox) that was supposedly a PostScript machine, intending it to replace both my aging HP 2100M and my almost-worn-out Alps MicroDry. In addition to being both bulkier and noisier than expected (which I suppose I could have lived with), it couldn't accept a PS data stream out of Xerox Ventura Publisher (DOS/GEM Edition), which was an absolute non-negotiable requirement for anything that would replace the 2100M. It went back to Staples less than 24 hours after it was delivered.

Regarding HP, near as I can tell, I think they stopped making good products over a decade ago: I don't think I've seen a single one of their products that was introduced in this century, that wasn't overpriced junk.

--
JHHL