From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of rob@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2012 4:10 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Sharing 280D fiber tape card

Following section "Creating an IBM i logical partition that uses IBM i virtual I/O resources" starting at pdf page 125 (printed page 117) of "Power Systems Logical Partitioning" available at http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/powersys/v3r1m5/topic/iphat/iphat.pdf

On my HMC I created the new guest lpar.
Load source: Client SCSI Slot 2
Alternate restart device: Client SCSI Slot 3

The Guest lpar has the following:
adapt
Type id Server Partner Required
Client SCSI 2 gdihq(2) 5 Yes
Client SCSI 3 gdihq(2) 6 Yes
Server Serial 0 Any Partition Any Partition slot Yes
Server Serial 1 Any Partition Any Partition slot Yes

The Host lpar has (both dynamically and in profile config - verified)
adapt
Type id Server Partner Required
Ethernet 2 N/A N/A Yes
Ethernet 3 N/A N/A Yes
Server SCSI 4 Any Partition Any Partition Slot Yes (just was
there)
Server SCSI 5 MAIL1(4) 2 No
Server SCSI 6 MAIL1(5) 3 No
Server Serial 0 Any Partition Any Partition slot Yes
Server Serial 1 Any Partition Any Partition slot Yes

On gdihq I enter WRKHDWRSC *CMN and I see (subsetted)
Resource Type Status Text
CMB09 290B Operational Comm Processor
CTL04 290B Operational Comm Adapter
CMB10 290B Operational Comm Processor
CTL05 290B Operational Comm Adapter
CMB11 290B Operational Comm Processor
CTL06 290B Operational Comm Adapter
CRTNWSD NWSD(MAIL1)
RSRCNAME(CTL05)
TYPE(*GUEST *OPSYS)
ONLINE(*NO)
PTNNBR(4)
CODEPAGE(437)
RSTDDEVRSC(*ALLOPT *ALLTAPE)
TEXT('MAIL1, Domino Guest lpar')
PWRCTL(*NO)
CRTNWSD NWSD(MAIL1TO)
RSRCNAME(CTL06)
TYPE(*GUEST *OPSYS)
ONLINE(*NO)
PTNNBR(4)
CODEPAGE(437)
RSTDDEVRSC(*NONE)
TEXT('MAIL1, Tape and Optical')
PWRCTL(*NO)
CRTNWSSTG NWSSTG(MAIL1001) NWSSIZE(140000) FORMAT(*OPEN) TEXT('MAIL1 guest Domino lpar disk') Repeat for a total of six 140's to start.
ADDNWSSTGL NWSSTG(MAIL1001) NWSD(MAIL1)
Repeat for the six storage devices.
Verified that the settings for this lpar are D mode IPL.
Tried to start it using Activate Profile and it died with B2004158.
Shut it down immediately. Varied on NWSD's MAIL1 and MAIL1TO. Tried again. Same error. Hmm, I wonder if loading a disc into the optical drive will make a difference? :-) Do I need to vary off tape/opt on GDIHQ first?

Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755