Lance, are you sure you used all LTO5 cartridges for the LTO4 initialization? If so that's new to me and I stand corrected.

Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects

On 12/15/2012 8:03 AM, Jim Oberholtzer wrote:
I don't think you can initialize an LTO5 tape to LTO4 standards, you
have to use the correct cartridge for the tape density. The tape device
being an internal sled or one that is in a tape library has no real
bearing on it. The tape header which is written at the factory (and I
don't think can be overwritten) determines the density of the tape. The
color of the cartridge is for humans.

For grins I tried in on my 3573, and had the same result. Even tried it
with LTO3 and LTO2. Same thing, no joy.